Thread: Fraternization
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 06, 2024, 07:02pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I searched the forum for this topic but didn't come up with much.

Did I read somewhere that umpires should be cautious about fraternizing with team members? Or showing outward signs of partiality?

Recently observed an umpire fist-bumping, low-fiving, and pointing to a player who made a great defensive play. Just for the one team and not the other.

Does USA Softball have any guidelines? I looked in rules book and umpire manual but nothing stood out.
Well, this out of the "Code of Ethics for Umpires" section in the Umpire Manual might cover it:

Quote:
3. Remember that while your work as an umpire is important, you must conduct yourself in such a way that spectator attention is directed to the players during the game and not at you.
I would say any unsolicited reaction by an umpire towards a player would fall into the category of something that would catch the attention of a spectator. So don't do it, even if it's done to both teams equally.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker