View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 01, 2024, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Part I – Are These Changes Made Last Year

3. Eliminating the one-and-one for common fouls beginning with the seventh team foul in the half and establishing the bonus as two free throws awarded for a common foul beginning with the team’s fifth foul in each quarter and resetting the fouls at the end of each quarter.

4. Establishing four throw-in spots when a team is retaining or gaining team control in its frontcourt due to a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus, or other stoppages in play other than an out of bounds.

5. Allowing the official administering a throw-in to the wrong team to correct the mistake before the first dead ball after the ball becomes live unless there is a change of possession.

6. Allowing a player to step out of bounds without penalty unless they are the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court or if they left the court to avoid a violation.

These are all improvements and worked well. The other two are meaningless in my opinion.

Quote:
Part II – Observations – Have You Seen In Your Area?

4. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by fans toward officials.
Fan behavior has been increasingly worse since COVID. The coaches and players were fine in the games that I did this year.
I had three technical fouls all season—one was for hanging on the ring, another was for taunting (player to opposing player), and the last was for a player tossing the ball away after a traveling call.
The coaches around here were wonderful. The players were generally good. However, the fans are idiots.

Quote:
Part III – About Rules For 2024-25 – Would You Favor?

1. Requiring the game clock to stop after a made basket in the last minute of the game and overtime. No, our timers have enough difficulty already.

2. Requiring the visiting team jersey to be white and the home team jersey to be a contrasting dark color. Don’t care. Either way is fine with me. Just get rid of gray.

3. Limiting the head coach to only request a time-out during a dead-ball situation. ABSOLUTELY!!! Would be the best change that the NFHS could make.

4. Removing coaching box privileges from the head coach only when the head coach receives a direct technical foul and allowing the head coach the use of the coaching box after an indirect technical foul. Fine. I don’t care if the HC is sitting or standing.

5. Returning to a bonus free throw after the seventh team foul that allows a second free throw only when the first attempt is successful and two free throws after the tenth team foul each quarter. NO!

6. Allowing a bonus free throw after the fourth team foul that allows a second free throw only when the first attempt is successful and two free throws after the sixth team foul each quarter. No. It is clear and simple now. Always two shots. Don’t mess this up.

7. Awarding two free throws after the sixth team foul and resetting the team foul count at the end of each quarter. Five seemed to work well for 8-minute quarters. Would six be better for pace of play or just cause more aggressive play? Additionally, 5-5-5 is kind of nice. Five individual fouls for DQ, five team fouls per quarter for the bonus, and five time-outs for each team in a game.

8. Establishing goaltending when the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket. Might as well. That is what people see on TV and believe the rule to be anyway.

9. Establishing basket interference when a blocked shot attempt causes the ring to shake causing an unsuccessful try for goal. Same as #8.

10. Eliminating the penalty for dunking during pre-game and halftime warm-ups. Yes, less for us to have to deal with. If the baskets get broken, we get paid anyway. Shouldn’t be the problem of the officials.

11. Assessing a team technical foul for dunking during pre-game warm-ups instead of a player technical foul. I would rather that it gets eliminated entirely. However, this is better than the current rule.

12. Using the 3-point line as the determining line for if the ball is inbounded in a team’s frontcourt from the end line or at the nearest 28-foot mark on the sideline instead of the imaginary line. Fine, but I would rather see the FT lane and semi-circle used for end line throw-ins and have everything else go to the side.

13. Requiring all frontcourt throw-ins to take place at one of the four spots used for violations, fouls and other stoppages. Fine

14. Allowing a team to advance the ball to the 28-foot mark in the team’s frontcourt upon a time-out after a made basket, securing a rebound or a change of possession with under one minute to play in the fourth quarter or overtime period. No way! That just favors the team getting the ball. The NBA only allows advancing because it keeps the TV audience and allows for more commercials to be shown when fans would otherwise turn the game off.

15. Establishing a violation when a team is inbounding the ball in the frontcourt and throws the ball into the backcourt to avoid a five-second call. No. Let them throw the ball in and play. This isn’t the NBA.

16. Establishing a violation for faking being fouled (flopping). Unnecessary, just call a T, call a blocking foul, or ignore it. We don’t need another rule to deal with faking.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Mar 01, 2024 at 04:04am.