Thread: Substitute
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 07, 2024, 03:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Enter The Game Legally ...

This is a slightly different than a substitute who tries to enter "late" without being beckoned.

Technically a technical foul, but most of us would just send him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I don't see why the obvious answer isn't "send them back to the table".
There might be another answer that may not be so obvious.

In NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations) basketball rules, a substitute becomes a player when they enter the game legally. According to NFHS rules, a player officially enters the game when they report to the scorer's table and are beckoned onto the court by an official. The player must also be wearing the appropriate uniform and equipment. Once these conditions are met, the substitute becomes an active participant in the game and must adhere to all rules and regulations governing player conduct and gameplay.

Is the substitute wearing the appropriate uniform and equipment? Yes.

Was the substitute eligible to play (not disqualified, not sitting a tick, etc.)? Yes.

Did the substitute report to the table? Yes.

Was the substitute beckoned onto the court by an official? Yes.

Did the substitute enter the court? Yes.

Can't give the substitute a technical foul for not being beckoned and entering the court.

He entered the game legally due to an error (the beckoning) by the official.

Is this a correctable "mistake"?

Is the official allowed a "do-over"?

Note, in a real game I would probably also send him back.

3-3-3: A substitute becomes a player when he/she legally enters the court. If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live.

3-3-1: ... the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission or the time-out.

How often do officials just downright kick a rule (timeout by a team not eligible to be granted a timeout) that can't be corrected?

Is this one of them?

The end of the time frame to correct this "mistake" (if correctable) is definitely a live ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 07, 2024 at 07:47pm.