View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
We have developed a pretty good pre-game (for 4 and 5 man crews) let me know and I'll email it to you.

Most of the stuff that you will hear about what to say in a pre-game is very similar- and necessary. Here are the high points that have been helpful for us.

1. Tell the guys not to look for things to call-the calls will find you.
2. Make sure that the calling official either repeats back the penalty enforcement to you or agrees/disagrees with you when you tell him what the penalty enforcement will be.
3. Never talk to a coach unless another official is listening.
4. Make sure that one of the other officials (HL, LJ or BJ covers the ball during penalty enforcement so that the U can listen to your explanation of the penalty. (good double check)
5. Slap your thigh before you point to the offending team. (gives you time to think so that you dont point the wrong way.)
6. If the press box is not on the west side of the field, be careful not to get turned around when pointing.
7.If you tell them anything- emphasize with the captains not to have thier players talk to the opponent.
8. Most importantly- "Talk them out of five." See if your crew can prevent five fouls. This is the last thing that I tell our crew before we break for the kick-off.

Enjoy the white hat role. Let your crew help you. Just remember that your job starts when the other official's job ends. Once you work the white hat- you wont want to work anywhere else.