View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2024, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If the ball was still in A1's hand when you sounded your whistle, what does the rulebook say about continuous motion? It would be a better conversation if we had the text of that rule posted.
By the book, on a written test, it sounds like it should have been an inadvertent whistle. No foul. No basket. Ball to White A Team for "magic spot" endline inbound.

White Team A coach would have been very "displeased" with good reason.

Would anybody (in a real game, not a written test) try use 2-3 (the referee must make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules) in this situation (despite the fact that an inadvertent whistle is covered by the rules)?

In my situation the inadvertent whistle probably came a split second before the ball was in flight (and may have actually occurred when the ball was in flight).

Like the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of "garden variety" act of shooting fouls that I've called over the years, all while knowing the continuous motion rule, I (instinctively) wasn't paying close attention to the exact timing of the release (not at all close to the end of the period), but to the trying motion of arm, foot (no travel), or body movements, as well as the motion of arm, foot, or body movements of the "defenders".

Who among us expects a player in a crowd to grab the arm of a teammate in the act of shooting?

6-7-5: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when: An official’s whistle is blown.
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap for field goal ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5 (official’s whistle is blown), 6 (time expires), or 7 (foul, other than player-control or team-control, occurs) occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.
c. Article 7 (foul, other than player-control or team-control, occurs) occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for field goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.

4-36: Point Of Interruption
ART. 1 Method of resuming play due to an official’s inadvertent whistle, …
ART. 2 Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:
a. A throw-in to the team that was in control:
In the frontcourt at one of the four designated spots nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 16, 2024 at 11:50am.