View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 14, 2024, 12:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'd Love to Say It Was The First Time It Happened ...

... but that would be a lie.

Weird week.

For the third time in my forty-plus year officiating career I had a player unintentionally foul a teammate.

I'm the lead, not much room behind the endline to back up to get a wide open look.

Dribbler White A1 jumps high to shoot a right handed layup. Act of shooting. Arm comes out of a crowd of players and grabs White A1's right arm. I sound my whistle and put up my closed fist. Ball goes in the basket. Needing a player number I follow down the offending arm to the white jersey of White A2.

Immediately realized my mistake. Discussed briefly with my partner and then explained to the coaches. No foul. Good basket by White. Ball to Blue for run the endline inbounds.

On the way home, I started to think about the play. Ball was probably still in White A1's hand when I sounded my whistle. Does continuous motion apply here? Should I have not counted the basket and given the ball to White Team A for an inbound on the endline "magic spot"?

Or is this a 2-3 situation (the referee must make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules)?

Previous two times I called this (player unintentionally fouls a teammate) they were rebounding fouls, not act of shooting fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 16, 2024 at 03:17pm.