View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 19, 2023, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
For those who do not know: I have a deep dark officiating secret. I officiating boys'/girls' H.S. soccer from 1993 to 2005. Oh the shame of officiating the un-American sport, 🤣!

The reasoning behind the Rule was to give the Player's HC a chance to have his/her Player "cool down" but more often than not the Player's HC would not have his/her Player even come to the Team Bench, instead, having his/her Player remain at the Scorer/Timer Table to re-enter the game at the Team's next opportunity to substitute, which in many cases was ten seconds or less from the time the Player received his/her Yellow Card. I remember, very well, I Yellow Carded a Player who remained out of the game for less ten seconds only to come back and immediately go after his opponent again and do the exact same thing for his second Yellow Card which became and immediate Yellow/Red Card ejection, so much for a HC doing his job.

Mike:

Do you find that to be the case with some HCs not embracing the reasoning behind the Soccer Rule?

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

I've always noticed an appreciable interval between a player being instructed to leave the field after being cautioned and entering the substitution area, but none quite as short as your experience. I have beckoned several players back into the game at the next opportunity.

Contrast this with USSF rules. My son cautioned a U11 player for Stopping a Promising Attack. Under USSF rules, a player may remain on the pitch following a yellow card. A few minutes later, the same player committed another foul and was issued another caution for Reckless Play and was sent off for 2 yellow cards (we show cards sequentially now, rather than together as back in your day).

The coach missed the opportunity to talk with his player and that led to his eventual send off. He's also the one who parks on the grass near the sign that says, "no parking on the grass," but I digress.