View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2023, 02:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Way Riegels ...

IAABO officials, all 15,000 of us, have access to “permanent” written documentation (IAABO Handbook Play 9-34) that, in a situation of a throwin by wrong team, the new throwin is at the original throwin spot, and the consumed time may be put back on the clock if the officials have definite knowledge.

Non-IAABO officials, certainly much, much more than 15,000, have written documentation (NFHS Casebook Comments On 2023-24 Revisions 7.6.6 Situation) only of, in the situation of a throwin by wrong team, consumed time being put back on the clock if the officials have definite knowledge. I'm not sure if the entire interpretation will make it's way "permanently" into the "body" of the NFHS Casebook. Right now, the entire interpretation (including time put back on the clock), is only in the Comments On 2023-24 Revisions. A shorter version of the interpretation, lacking any reference to time put back on the clock (or original spot), is in the "body" of the NFHS Casebook.

Non-IAABO officials also have access to great “temporary” written documentation (2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations Situation 5) that, in a situation of a throwin by wrong team, the new throwin is at the original throwin spot (and the clock should be reset).

As all “annual” interpretations, 2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations Situation 5 may eventually end up in the NFHS Casebook, but that is definitely not a certainty, and if it doesn’t happen, how will next year’s new officials, and all future new officials “down the line”, know this “original throwin spot” interpretation (or the "time consumed" interpretation)?

Will this be another “being tripped is not the same as tripping” interpretation?

2004-05 NFHS Casebook: 10.6.1 Situation E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. Ruling: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

The 10.6.1 Situation E interpretation disappeared from the casebook in 2005-06. No relevant rules changed since this casebook play appeared in 2004-05, and then disappeared from the casebook in 2005-06, nor have any conflicting interpretations been published by the NFHS.

Lindsey Atkinson, the NFHS rules editor for basketball, has stated (September 23, 2021) that as long as there are no relevant rule changes, or interpretation changes, to invalidate such, old vanished interpretations are still officially considered to be valid by the NFHS. She also stated that usual reason for still valid casebook plays to be dropped is due to page limitations, when a new caseplay goes in, one usually has to come out.

However, many offiicials subscribe to the idea that “seeing is believing”.

How about it Zoochy, who is from Missouri, the “Show Me State”?

It is my hope that 2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations Situation 5, in it's entirety (original throwin spot and time consumed), ends up "permanently" in the "body" of the NFHS Casebook.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 09, 2023 at 10:11am.