View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2023, 10:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank You Penalty Language ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know why there needs to be an exception ...
There doesn't, the 9-9 backcourt PENALTY language makes it perfectly clear.

But the rule language listed in 7-5-2 thru 4 (without the additional penalty language), could lead one to believe that the "new" throwin, after opponents stepping "on" (not "over") the division line, would be at the division line (the closest spot), with the division line being in the backcourt of the "new" throwin team, thus a backcourt throwin and not eligible for one of the new "four special spots" (no matter which way a team is going, the division line is always in the backcourt of both teams).

7-5-2 thru 4: Establishes four throw-in spots (the nearest 28-foot mark along each sideline or the nearest spot 3-feet outside the lane line on the end line) when a team gains or retains possession in their frontcourt after the opponent commits a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus, or the ball becomes dead (i.e. inadvertent whistle or a held ball).

Let me put it this way.

In the olden days (before the "four special spots" rule) where would one administer the throwin for a team that simply steps "on" (not "over") the division line? At the division line.

For the new throwin team, is the division line in the new throwin team's frontcourt, in their backcourt? Their backcourt.

Flash forward to the new "four special spots" rule. Where do teams that have throwins in their backcourt make their throwins, at the closest spot, or at one of the new "four special spots"? At the closest spot.

But it's all academic because the 9-9 backcourt PENALTY language makes it perfectly clear.

All backcourt violations are administered at one of the new "four special spots", even after players step "on" (not "over") the division line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 06, 2023 at 01:20pm.