View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

For everyone that participated in the last thread I put up I thought I would share this story.
Saturday we had a play with an opposing runner on second, a sharp grounder was hit to short. My SS came up to field the ball an tangled feet with the runner. Both players fell. My player managed to get to his feet and throw the batter out at first. I yelled "runner interference" when the play had happened. Came out of the dug out and asked for time from the home plate umpire. I started out to the line to ask the infield umpire why he called the R2 safe. I looked at the umpire walking toward me preparing for his stanoff. His chest starting to stick out. I quickly checked my pace. I said to him "Wait a second, I came out way to hot, let's both take a breath." We both started to laugh realizing that "WE" were both already taking the defense. Thanks----
Question: his explaination was that it appeared that since the my SS was able to get the hitter out at 1B, and it didn't appear intentional, that there was no interference.
My point was that my fielder has a right to the ball. Even if the runner tried to get out of his way, he still made contact and should be out. Any ideas?