View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2023, 02:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Houston, We Have A Problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Don't need a rocket ship diagram for an out of bounds call. It's easy to know where that throw in spot will be.
Great point Raymond. Thanks. I fixed my post.

Will the rocket ship diagram still be used to determine a sideline "spot", or an endlne "spot", when a defensive team commits a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus, or the ball becomes dead?

I took Mr. Fiore's geometry class and Mr. Madden's trigonometry class over 50 years ago, but I still may remember enough to know that "nearest" (new rule language) spot may not necessarily be determined from the rocket ship diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
7-5-2 thru 5: Establishes four throw-in spots (the nearest 28-feet mark along each sideline or the nearest spot 3-feet outside the lane line on the end line) when the ball is in team control in the offensive team’s frontcourt and the defensive team commits a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus, or the ball becomes dead. The one exception is when the defensive team causes a ball to be out of bounds, the throw-in shall be the spot where the ball went out of bounds. Rationale: Simplifies throw-in procedure when there is team control in the frontcourt and the defensive team commits a violation.
Wouldn't a new diagram look like diagonal lines coming out of each corner at 45 degree angles, meeting somewhere near the top of the key, and then becoming the basket line?

Now I have to remember to carry a protractor in my back pocket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 16, 2023 at 08:13am.