View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 04, 2023, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
It couldn't have been that bad, they combined for 187 points. Iowa, who led the country in scoring at 87 ppg scored 85. This output despite 37 fouls is not all that bad considering the median foul count per team in NCAA women's basketball is 17 fouls per game.

LSU was the better team. They won.
LSU was the better team. Unfortunately, the officiating of this game did make a difference in the game. We don't know how LSU would have fared if they hand't picked up foul trouble in the first half. I do feel the calls on Clark did influence her game. Watching the semi-final, she seemed dangerous on dribble penetration and then either scoring or dishing the ball to open teammates. This aspect of her game seemed largely taken away by the two foul calls early.

The call I had the biggest problem with was the T on Clark. Yes, by the strict definition of the rule, this was the correct call. I don't think this was the intent of the rule, nor the spirit of the rule. In my opinion the spirit of the rule and intent is to prevent the game from being delayed (thus the DOG warning issued first). You can't tell me the game was delayed because of Clark's actions that got her the T.