View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 30, 2023, 02:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rare Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Your sitch was a violation for intentionally leaving the court ...
... for an unauthorized reason.

NFHS 9-3-3: A player must not leave the court for an unauthorized reason. Penalty: The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of bounds spot nearest the violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
No tech unless the player doing throw-in, who was already legally oob, delayed returning inbounds.
10-4-1: Player Technical: A player must not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

We also have the rare case of a technical foul for a player, who was not legally out of bounds (not a throwin play), leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment, disgust, or intimidation.

10-4-6-I : Player Technical: A player must not: Leave the playing court for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment, disgust, or intimidation.

Seen this called only once in forty-plus years. Called a foul on a player (not her fifth foul) who was verbally upset with the official who made the foul call and then ran off the court (not waiting for a substitute) straight into the locker room. After checking with the coach that it was for an unauthorized reason (not a bathroom break, injury, etc.) we charged her with the technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 30, 2023 at 05:37pm.