View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 25, 2023, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Opportunity Knocking ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
How much do you go with your best versus giving someone else an opportunity?
My local high school board made a big change a few years ago. Previous to the change, our local members were allowed to officiate in both the boys and girls state tournament (if selected by both gender coaches). The change forced local members (if selected by both gender coaches) to pick only one gender for the tournament.

Lots of yelling and screaming at local meetings, but I believe that it worked out for the best, offering more post season opportunities for some of our younger, but still very skilled, officials.

The state made a major tournament change this past year. Instead of tournament officials being selected by coaches votes (as its been for over forty years), tournament officials would be selected by local boards. My local board utilized our assignment commissioner, our assistant assignment commissioner, and the co-chairs of our evaluation committee to make such selections.

I recently observed twenty-two different local officials in eleven state tournament games. Everyone "belonged" there.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 25, 2023 at 01:36pm.