View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 06, 2023, 12:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
When the student section that took up a good chunk of mid-court started making racists remarks that I didn't hear. My crew chief, who was right in front of them when it happened, turned around immediately and gestured for the entire section to leave the gym. Got game admin and the school resource officer to assist and would not resume the game until they'd all left the premises.

Made sure to inform school admins what had happened but never did repeat to my partner or myself what was said other than it was "despicable."
Thanks for sharing.

I always pay attention to what comments are made by fans to the players and vice versa. I'll also tell players not to interact with fans and if they're saying something out of line to let the crew know. In today's world we need to be cognizant of what's going on around us. Not just for the players' safety, but for our safety as well. We have seen players slap fans. We have seen shootings inside of gymnasiums. We have fans who follow players and officials off the court. We can't say we don't know what's going on around us because we're staring at players standing around during free throws. Calling somebody a monkey is not a normal distraction technique by fans. Anybody who doesn't know what's going on in that situation just wants to be oblivious. I simply am not going to work in that type of environment. Any of those remarks made toward the player I take them as applying to me also, whether they be racial, anti-semitic, anti LGBTQ, threats of violence, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 06, 2023 at 12:48pm.