View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe Not Apples And Oranges ...

... but McIntosh Apples and Delicious Apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The parent compared fans yelling at officials being addressed to fans yelling out explicit racial comments at a player not being addressed.
If you only want to post regarding the racial aspect of the parent comment, I'm fine with that that.

I just wanted to speculate about why one aspect (yelling at of officials) may have been be dealt with by game officials while the other aspect (monkey sounds by fans) may have been seemingly ignored by game officials.

Note: Maybe it wasn't completely ignored by the game officials but was reported to the site director, who chose not to do anything about it?

If this were my game, I probably could have been oblivious to the monkey sounds as racially intended (unless pointed out to me), but I may have had rabbit ears to the high volume fan obnoxiously and unacceptably yelling at me, or my partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
As for me, I'm not sure that I would be cognizant enough to differentiate between monkey yells that are racial in nature and those that may be "garden variety" distracting. 99% of my attention is on the players, bench, table, scoreboard, and partner, only 1% is on the crowd. I honestly doubt that I would realize that the monkey yells were only directed at the Black player (unless pointed out to me). Yes, for good or bad, I'm that focused on the players, not the fans.
My response to the parent would be, "I'm sorry sir, but I didn't realize that the monkey sounds were racially motivated. I didn't even realize that they were supposed to be monkey sounds, nor did I realize that they were only directed at Black players. Until you set me straight, I thought that they were just fans trying to distract the shooter. I did happen to hear one fan yelling obnoxiously and unacceptably at both me and my partner, and I couldn't ignore that. Be assured that I will report both of these unsporting issues to my assigner who, I'm sure, will bump both reports up to the state. I guarantee that your issue will not continue to be ignored".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 05, 2023 at 07:13pm.