View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 03:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If It Were Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Any of you have to address racist remarks and taunting from the crowd? How would you have handled this as an official?
If the crowd yells bothersome inappropriate remarks at me, or my partner, I'm probably not waiting for the site director (school official) to react, rather, I'm immediately bringing it to the attention of the site director (school official), and I'm probably offering a suggestion (warning or expulsion), and in the worst cases, it may not only be a suggestion, but a mandate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have no problem stopping the game and not resuming until it was addressed.
I would also followup with a report to my game assigner, who might choose to bump it up to the state interscholastic sports governing body.

If the crowd yells bothersome possibly inappropriate (booing, air ball, miss, you can't do that, etc.) remarks to the players, I'm probably first waiting to see if the site director (school official) reacts. In the worst cases (swearing, epithets, racial, ethnic, etc.), if they don't react, and they chose to ignore, I will probably bring it to their attention and possibly offer a suggestion (warning or expulsion), but I doubt that I would mandate anything, it's more of a school problem, to be handled, in its own way, by the school administrators, rather than a problem to be dealt with by a game official. At the minimum, I would not ignore. I would also followup with a report to my game assigner, who might choose to bump it up to the state interscholastic sports governing body.

In both cases, I would not have any direct contact or direct communication with fans. That's the site director's (school official) job, not the job of game officials, we're there to just report such incidents to the site director (school official), and to possibly advise (warning or expulsion) the site director (school official).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 05, 2023 at 04:58pm.