View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2023, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

When Officials Disagree

Been a while since I posted, but I do try to log in and read here and there.

Anyways, had a situation last week where we had officials disagree, and then couldn't come to a resolution. I wasn't on the game, but I run our association meetings, and I know this will be discussed, so I wanted to get some feedback as to how to proceed. Here's the scenario:

4th quarter of GV, fairly close game. A1 picks up her dribble in the backcourt near baseline, then pivots and steps OOB. Covering officials sees and calls the violation. At about the same time, the new lead comes in, saying the HC had called a timeout. They award the timeout, but during the timeout, the third official on the crew got them together, and said he had definite knowledge that the OOB whistle clearly came before the timeout. The crew then discusses what happened through the full timeout, and incredibly took another 4 minutes (which is an absolute eternity when players are on the court and ready to play) before finally going with the timeout.

So my question is, when you reach what seems to be an impasse, how do you move on? What phrases/techniques would you use within the conversation to move on? Because by rule one official cannot overrule another, I think the proper thing is to go with the original call. What makes this a little different, is the calling official had ceded his travel call, and it was the 3rd referee (who was actually correct btw) who didn't want to let it go. It's the 4th quarter in a close game, so this call matters, they just couldn't come to a decision, and hurt their own credibility by taking so long.

On a semi-related note, had an official a while back call a team control foul off-ball, but awarded 1-and-1 FT's. One of the officials came to him to say, wait a minute, this is team control, no FT's, but he was absolutely set that it was a "Common Foul," not player control, so it was different. Of course he was wrong, but he wasn't going to change his mind. The perfect solution is to know the rules, but if you were on that game, how do you get it right? Knowingly setting aside a rule would sit poorly with me, And I would struggle to let him live and die with the call when it's a not a judgement thing.

Any feedback on conversations for our meeting would be great, thanks!