View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 06, 2022, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Semantics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
#48 With four minutes remaining in the quarter, A-1, in the backcourt, throws a pass toward A-5 in the frontcourt. The pass hits the ring and rebounds untouched back to A-1 in the backcourt. The officials allow play to continue. Is this correct? IAABO answer: #48 No.

4-4-5: A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds.

9-9-2: While in player and team control in its backcourt, a player must not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, such that he/she or a teammate is the first to touch it in the backcourt.

2021-22 NFHS Basketball Casebook 9.5 Situation: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against: (a) the team’s own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an official and catches the ball after each. Ruling: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard is considered a try for goal. In (b) and (c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 4-15-2; Fundamental 19)
Regarding #48, here's what I heard for a few IAABO interpreters.

For some reason the NFHS doesn't specifically state a ball hitting the ring is considered a try. It only mentions the backboard in CB 9.5.

So technically Refresher question #48 is accurate because it stated a pass hit the ring.

In an actual game, the covering officials have it well within their authority to rule the thrown ball a try and allow play to continue.

Agree with all above regarding #48 as a stand alone question.

Question says “pass”.

Casebook play says a “thrown ball”, so in essence a “pass” that hits the “backboard” becomes a “try”.

But the casebook play clearly says “backboard”, not “ring” as we see in the question.

I fully understand the IAABO answer to #48, no, it is a backcourt violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 06, 2022 at 04:11pm.