Thread: changing arrow
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 30, 2022, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is right?

We should "can" the alternating possession arrow and once again have dozens of jump balls in a game, as in ancient times, and as James Naismith intended.

Hopefully he's still on his tropical cruise and won't see this post.
I agree with Mark. Jump balls would not cause undue difficulties for the table. I remember having to often remind the table about changing the arrow, because they either forget to change the arrow, or have the arrow point to the bench of the team that has the arrow, rather than the direction that the team is attacking. By contrast, most jump balls happen at the center circle, except for those caused by held balls, simultaneous deflections out of bounds, or when the officials do not know who last touched the ball. The NBA has a list of 10 situations where there is a jump ball at the center circle. 2 of them do not apply to NFHS, but most of them would, should NFHS restore the jump ball.

Here is the NBA Rulebook. Rule 6 has a detailed list of all the jump ball situations, should anyone be interested.

With the way the game is now in NFHS, it makes sense for them to eliminate the reference in Rule 6 to a jump ball striking the backboard. A similar absurdity in current NFHS rules is the definition of the bonus as the second free throw awarded for a common foul either after the 7th foul in the half, inclusive, if the first free throw is successful, or, after the 10th foul in any case. The problem is that this definition implies that there is a first free throw for common fouls. This has not been true since the 1972-73. I would redefine the bonus to be "One or more free throw(s) awarded for a common foul that is not a player-control or team-control foul following the opposing team's 7th foul in each half as follows:
a) One free throw, with a second free throw if the first is successful, following the 7th, 8th, or 9th team foul of the half
b) Two free throws, following the 10th team foul of the half".