View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 30, 2022, 05:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Refresher Exam study group last week. We couldn't come up with a consensus on this question (below), struggling with the word "hesitates".

During a throw-in, airborne A-2 catches the pass after jumping from the frontcourt. A-2 lands with one foot in the frontcourt, hesitates and then places the other foot down in the backcourt. The official rules a legal play. Is this correct?

Does the word "hesitates" somehow impact and negate this situation from being a "normal landing"?

9-9-3: During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

Billy:

With respect to your question, I never gave it much thought because I only concerned myself with "...and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt." That said I would rule A2's actions legal.

I would propose that the last sentence in R9-S9-A3 should read: "It makes no difference whether the player's first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt." This would remove all ambiguity.

What say you?

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Since IAABO Board #55 went defunct a few years back, Mark, Jr. and I are now Indivdual Members and thus only receive the Handbook and the Refresher Exam but not the answer key to the Refresher Exam. When you have a chance this week could you email me a copy of the Refresher Exam's answer key. Thanks.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio