View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 25, 2022, 03:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

When I first started officiating forty-plus years ago one of our rural high schools still had one of these on the wall, it wasn't used, it was only there for historical display purposes.

When I played JrHS basketball (1963-64 and 1964-65) our JrHS was originally our ES, JrHS and HS when it was built in the pre-WPA days before The Great Depression. The gym had a a stage on one side and a balcony on the other side that was so low that if one shot from the corner one risked getting block by the balcony. The court length was less that 84 feet so it had the 40ft lines maked from each End Line and since there considerable less that 3 feet outside all of the Boundary Lines on all 4 sides, a 3ft dashed line was marked all around the court to mark the Boundary Lines during Throw-ins. And while the Free Throw lane was 12 feet wide it still had the key-hole Free Throw lane marked on it with the H and V marked on the first Lane Spaces from the very "Ancient Days" of basketball.

And yes, the court had a game clock, like in Billy's picture, that was used for our games. And the gym was still used ocassionaly for JrHS games when I started officiating in 1971-72 and I officiated a few games on the court.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio