View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks for the recognition BBR, however...

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
I do not support you take on situation 15.
Situation 15 is merely an exception to new rule 8-2-2
The clearly rule states ...a foul by the opponents of the scoring team...
Situation 15 is am exception! Situation 15 is the only time that you do not get to keep the points and have the penalty enforced on the succeeding spot! In this one exception you get to keep 6 points or 2 points but the penalty is not carried over to the succeeding spot!
Other than on page 2 the rulebook clearly supports what I have just stated!
The intent of rule 8-2-2 was that all penalties are enforced. Now with the exception of Situation 15 they all will be!
Also please note the end of Situation 15 where it states: As interpreted, the foul by A would have to be following the change of possession in order for the revised provisions of 8-2-2 to be in place.
This makes it pretty clear that a foul can occur by A on a play that results in a B touchdown and B will get the points and the penalty.
My understanding from, our state office is that the wording will be changed next year to "a foul by the defense...." That is the way it is written in the rule changes at the front of the book and the way it should have been written in the context of 8-2-2.

I didn't say that a foul by A couldn't occur. Remember that A and B do not change during a change of possession but offense and defense do change. In SITUATION 15, the foul is by A. But, the foul is by A when they are on offense. Once the ball is intercepted, A is now on defense. Accordingly, since the foul was not by the defense, B must decline the penalty to accept the score.

Changing the wording as I have described above eliminates the need for any exception and doesn't change any other issues associated with the rule. It is the way the rule was supposed to be written and I am told that it will be properly edited next year.