View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2022, 06:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Also agree. Three problems I'm worried about:

1) Table personnel. I've worked Connecticut private prep school games with shot clocks over the past forty years. Seems that every single game there was a shot clock issue due to poor training or lack of attention to details.
I do small college and we have shot clock issues all the time. Some are not a big deal, many are a very big deal. We deal with it and move on.

Quote:
2) My partners. Working Connecticut private prep school games with shot clock games, the best shot clock partners were those with NCAA experience, but even some of those were shaky at best.
Of course. We have to become better clock people anyway. I remember when people say 3 Person was too hard and people learned it now many things we do are not even thought of. It is just like officiating anything else.

Quote:
3) Me. Old dog, new tricks. I now work mostly middle school games, where there will probably not be Connecticut shot clocks (expense of clocks, expense of timers), but I usually work a handful of freshman or junior varsity games every year, where there may be shot clocks. They say that practice makes perfect. I'm just not sure that I will get enough "practice" (shot clock experience) to be considered an "expert" deserving of a paycheck. There's a limit to how much one can become proficient at something after just studying a book.
With all due respect, I doubt they are seriously bringing a shot clock to middle school. I would even suspect that lower levels are not doing any shot clock for obvious reasons.

Peace