View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2022, 02:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Players May Not Be The Problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think it is too hard for kid to play with a shot clock at the high school level. The shot clock to me is not much harder than other rules we use for a player to adjust to ... But the players are the least of my concern.
Agree 100%. Players always gonna play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have always felt the issue would be the official that have to stay on top of issues with the clock because we will have people running the shot clock that will not understand the rules.
Also agree. Three problems I'm worried about:

1) Table personnel. I've worked Connecticut private prep school games with shot clocks over the past forty years. Seems that every single game there was a shot clock issue due to poor training or lack of attention to details.

2) My partners. Working Connecticut private prep school games with shot clock games, the best shot clock partners were those with NCAA experience, but even some of those were shaky at best.

3) Me. Old dog, new tricks. I now work mostly middle school games, where there will probably not be Connecticut shot clocks (expense of clocks, expense of timers), but I usually work a handful of freshman or junior varsity games every year, where there may be shot clocks. They say that practice makes perfect. I'm just not sure that I will get enough "practice" (shot clock experience) to be considered an "expert" deserving of a paycheck. There's a limit to how much one can become proficient at something after just studying a book.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 19, 2022 at 03:04pm.