View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 25, 2022, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yes, a pressing issue that needed to be addressed.

I prefer youngins not concern themselves with these obscure, once in a century plays and focus on the fundamentals they are being taught.
Years ago when I had not even started officiating a single game. All I had at the time was the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook for football.

Well, there was a long-time veteran that was running a local official's association meeting and spent about 30 or 40 minutes on a play that involved a dropkick and whether the situation was legal or not in the context of the play he was discussing. I sat there and my head was about to explode because I had no idea what he was talking about.

Well some 27 years later, I have yet to see that single play he was discussing. Never seen a dropkick in any game I have officiated. I think I saw it one time in an NFL game, and by then I knew the rule much better. But this was my first meeting as an official just trying to figure out how not to be scared out of my mind and this dude went on a rant about something that never happens and did it for the reasons he thought were being helpful. I almost talked myself out of doing this just at that meeting. I thought this is what I would have to do as an official and would never understand what was happening. And I played football all through high school and watched football all the time.

Sometimes veterans get in their own way worrying about things that never happened to show how clever they are with 3rd world plays that no one has seen.

Peace