View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 25, 2022, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fundamentals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I prefer youngins not concern themselves with these obscure, once in a century plays and focus on the fundamentals they are being taught.
In this case, this extremely obscure play can highlight the fundamental aspect of the rule, which for some, but not all, may make the rule fundamental easier to remember, and thus, easier to apply in all situations.

5-2-1: A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team’s own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.

Back when I was on the the rules training committee for rookies preparing to take the rules test, to highlight the one of the differences between basket interference and goaltending we often discussed possible basket interference or goaltending on a throw in.

I've never seen a possible basket interference or goaltending on a throw in in forty-plus years of officiating, nor have I seen it in all my years as a player and coach (beginning in the mid 1960's), but the discussion of such is a valuable tool for fundamental rule instruction.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 25, 2022 at 02:35pm.