View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 17, 2022, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

They're Wat'cha Call Rules Experts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see this as an impact that you are talking about.
I was agreeing with JRutledge (who appears to be agreeing with ilyazhito) about NFHS rules (and more specifically rule changes) in general (not specifically about shot clocks), also agreeing with JRutledge's football rules interpreter who said, "It takes the NF 3 years to get a rule right."

Yeah, I know that the NFHS deals with a lot of different sports (and other activities) and a lot of different rules, rule changes, and interpretations (not easy tasks to align everything), but that's their main job (isn't it), and I think that they could do just a little better than sometimes taking years to iron out all the bugs in a rule change, or publishing exams that sometimes have incorrect, or nonsensical, answers (we occasionally have similar problems with IAABO exams, but it's rare).

They're not reinventing the wheel, just making a few improvements every year.

Not expecting perfect, just a little better.

Knowing that something was going to be presented to tens of thousands of officials, coaches, players, athletic directors, etc., the NFHS should be damn sure that editors check, double check, and triple check before publishing something.

Back when I was teaching, I made sure that my exams had fair and easy to understand questions and non-ambiguous and correct answers.

And if I made a rare mistake, I fixed it for the next year.

I expected my lessons, lectures, demonstrations, handouts, labs, exams, quizzes, etc. to be as near perfect as possible, even in regard to spelling and grammar.

During my student teaching, I carelessly spelled oxygen as "oxagen" (I had used the short-hand O2 in my lesson plan notes, not spelling it out) as I was diagramming the Oxygen Carbon Dioxide Cycle on the blackboard.

After the lesson, my master teacher pointed the error out to me.

I was extremely embarrassed, and vowed to myself that something like that would never ever happen again in my teaching career.

This happened forty-eight years ago, yet I remember it vividly as if it happened yesterday.

Thank you Mr. Spargo.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 17, 2022 at 12:36pm.