Thread: Beads ...
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 02, 2022, 04:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2019-20 Basketball Rules Interpretations: SITUATION 2: A1 is wearing a ribbon to control her hair. RULING: Illegal. Ribbons are considered decorations and the athlete should not be allowed to enter the contest while wearing a ribbon in the hair. (3-5-4e)

It's there in black and white but I still disagree.

One can legally tie prewrap in a knot to use as a headband, but one can't legally tie a piece of soft cloth (ribbon) in a knot to use as a hair control devise?

2019-20 Basketball Rules Interpretations: SITUATION 1: A1 is waiting at the table to substitute into the game. The official recognizes the substitute is wearing pre-wrap tied in the back as a headband. RULING: The substitute is permitted to enter the game wearing the pre-wrap as a headband provided it meets all the guidelines for a headband. (3-5-4b)

Below: Legal in my game, used to control hair. Yeah, I know that I'm a rebel and thus, part of the problem.

Below: Illegal in my game, decorative (ornamental).

Yeah, it's subjective, maybe that's why the NFHS outlawed ribbons?

If ribbons are outlawed, only outlaws will have ribbons.

The real problem per ribbons is that they were originally legal in NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's, AND then the NFHS made them illegal but the NCAA has not. Auburn University men's team in playing in a Summer tournament (played using FIBA Rules) in Israel right now (I watched from the start until the middle of the 2nd QT when I fell asleep with my pre-lunch nap, LOL!) and FIBA does not prohibit ribbons and one of the Auburn players was wearing navy blue ribbons on the end of his dreads to match Auburn's uniform.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio