Thread: Beads ...
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 01, 2022, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Beads ...

Most recent issue of IAABO Sportorial magazine came out today. It included some photos of legal and illegal equipment. It included the rule change regarding beads.

Hard adornments (beads) are allowed if they are securely fastened "close to the head" and do not present a risk to the player, teammates, or opponents.

It appears that beads that are not worn "close to the head", for example tied to long braids, are illegal.

Note that this is an IAABO interpretation, not a NFHS interpretation.

Not sure If I'm ready to debate with a coach, a young woman, or a young man, what "close to the head" means. Easy interpretation for the two photos on the left (legal) and the photo on the far right (illegal). Third photo from the left is interesting, beads are within a "bun", but not "close to the head", beads are up to two inches away for the scalp.

I guess it's based on whether, or not the beads can "swing around" and strike somebody in the eye?

Maybe I should laminate these photos and bring them with me to games?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 01, 2022 at 12:58pm.