Thread: Too Wide ...
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2022, 03:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Well played Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., providing an answer that I would only expect from an engineer.

Now give this citation a try:

4-23-1 Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded. Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

Got any mathematical formula to explain away this citation?

Check out the Slope-Intercept Formula (y=mx+b), b would be the point of contact.

Of course, I'm no match against the mathematical prowess of an engineer, my academic background is mostly in geology, and as we all know, geology is "the Kardashian of science".

Billy:

Bonnie Jean thanks you for the box of Good and Plenty, I do not like them but she loves them. That said...

For the red of NFHS R4-S23-A1 (A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.) to apply, B1 must bend his/her knee out into A1 as A1 attempts to dribble by him/her. B1, standing completely still with his/her knee locked so that his/her leg is in a straight line from ankle joint to hip joint cannot be an infraction of NFHS R4-S23-A1. And has been already stipulated the width of the feet only apply in the Screening Rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio