Thread: Too Wide ...
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 22, 2022, 09:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guarding ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Example: A1 is a 6'-00" PG standing just outside of the Top of the Key in Team A's Front Court. B1 is a 6'-09" Center and is standing at the middle of the Free Throw Line just inside the Free Throw Lane; he is standing with his feet at a width outside the width of his shoulders, facing A1. B1 has Obtained/Established a LGP against A1. A1 then starts to dribble toward B1. B1 does not move his feet or body and keeps his arms extended straight up. A1 attempts to dribble around B1 on B1's left side and trips over B1's feet. Question: Has an Infraction of the Rules occurred? If so, what is the Infraction and who committed it? RULING: At a minimum, no Infraction has occurred. If an Infraction has occurred it is one of two types: 1) A PCF by A1 if B1 is displaced by A1's contact, or 2) a possible Traveling Violation by A1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10-7-1-Contact: A player must not hold, push, charge, trip or impede the progress of an opponent by extending arm(s), shoulder(s), hip(s) or knee(s), or by bending his/her body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Draw a Line (Line AKH) from B1's left ankle joint (Point A) through his left knee (Point K) to his left leg hip joint (Point H). If, in three-dimensional space, Line AKH is a straight line then there has not been an infraction of NFHS R10-S7-A1 by B1.
Well played Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., providing an answer that I would only expect from an engineer.

Now give this citation a try:

4-23-1 Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded. Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

Got any mathematical formula to explain away this citation?

Check out the Slope-Intercept Formula (y=mx+b), b would be the point of contact.

Of course, I'm no match against the mathematical prowess of an engineer, my academic background is mostly in geology, and as we all know, geology is "the Kardashian of science".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 22, 2022 at 12:56pm.