Thread: Too Wide ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 20, 2022, 07:49pm
Administrator

Forget about whether an interpretation came from an IAABO Interpreter or the Interpreter of a LOA and remember that I am a member of IAABO and have sat on IAABO National Committees and have been the Interpreter of an LOA. I will address IAABO vs. NFHS & NCAA in a separate thread at a later date.

The Guarding and Screening Rules are two different yet very similar Rules and yet for all intents and purposes, except of some minor tweaking since the turn of the Century (which I will ignore for the time being for reasons I do not want to discuss at this time), the Guarding and Screen Rules been the same for well over 60 years going back to the NBC Rules, then onto the NFHS Basketball Rules and NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committees, and then the NCAA Women's Basketball Rules Committees.

The width of the Player's feet are of significance ONLY when setting Screens. The width of the Player's feet are of no significance when Obtaining/Establishing a LGP and thereafter maintaining a LGP.

Example: A1 is a 6'-00" PG standing just outside of the Top of the Key in Team A's Front Court. B1 is a 6'-09" Center and is standing at the middle of the Free Throw Line just inside the Free Throw Lane; he is standing with his feet at a width outside the width of his shoulders, facing A1. B1 has Obtained/Established a LGP against A1. A1 then starts to dribble toward B1. B1 does not move his feet or body and keeps his arms extended straight up. A1 attempts to dribble around B1 on B1's left side and trips over B1's feet. Question: Has an Infraction of the Rules occurred? If so, what is the Infraction and who committed it? RULING: At a minimum, no Infraction has occurred. If an Infraction has occurred it is one of two types: 1) A PCF by A1 if B1 is displaced by A1's contact, or 2) a possible Traveling Violation by A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio