View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 14, 2022, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Automatic Dead Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The period ending horn makes the ball dead unless a try is in flight. If the clock started incorrectly and expired with the sounding of the horn, then the ball became dead in this situation.
Sounds like a good explanation.

I got caught up in the clock starting in error, and the period ending horn sounding in error, and if this still fit the definition of a ball becoming dead.

6-7-6: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when: Time expires for a quarter or extra period (see exception a below).

5-6-2: Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal illuminates or sounds indicating time has expired.

So an end of the period horn sounding in error still "automatically" equates to time expiring, and an automatic (with exception) dead ball? No need for an official to make a decision that the ball is dead, it's already "automatically" dead with an end of the period horn sounding, even if it sounded in error, and with time having to later be put back on the clock?

Has the time really expired, even if it expired in error?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 14, 2022 at 07:29pm.