View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 14, 2022, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Make Sense ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... do what makes sense.
Just a few, but some NFHS rules don't make common sense, or don't seem to be fair, especially correctable error rules, situations involving "mistakes", especially clock mistakes, and of course "do-over" situations.

It's probably a matter of codifying "intent and purpose" into a written set of rules and interpretations, a job that's not always easy.

Not all written rules cover all situations all of the time. Sometimes we just have to officiate the game, using our common sense built up over years of officiating, and do what's best for the game.

Some, like me, would like to stick to the written rules as much as possible, but sometimes we have to deviate from the rulebook.

And then there's always the difference between a "real game" and a written test question. This may not result in the same answer for everybody.

Again, this is why basketball officials get paid the big bucks, because we know the difference between a "real game" and a written test question.

But it's not a black and white issue, it's on a spectrum. That's why (along with regional and local variations) we have our many "debates".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)