View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2022, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

2022 POE's -- Illegal Equipment -- THOUGHTS

I have not gotten my new 2022 rule book, but found this on a nother site and was just wanting to get everyone's comment about it.

Under this year's POE's - Legal Uniforms & Equipment - there is this paragraph. "Any time a player is found to be participating with illegal equipment, the player is to be removed from the game AND (emphasis mine) the head coach should be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. Examples of illegal equipment but are not limited to: Eye shade that is not a solid stroke or includes words.......; eye shields that are not clear.......; play cards not worn on the wrist or arm;........"

The previous paragraph gives examples of "improperly worn equipment" such as knee pads not covering the knee, undershirts not tucked in, etc. As eye shade, eye shields, and play cards, are all legal equipment that are also being improperly worn in the POE's example, I'm not able discerning the difference.

When the rule changed to just sending players off, I was of the opinion that it wasn't really a huge penalty and that the coaches took it no more seriously than in the past during our "are you players legally equipped" portion of the pre-game conference.

I realize that each state will instruct their officials on what they want called but I can see a real issue on this for those who may decide to take a strict version of the POE into account.

So if one kid has illegal Eye shade that's 1 for the HC and then later another kid does not have his knee's covered that's 2 and he is gone?