View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 19, 2022, 08:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Accurate Count ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
That, is why I try to sync my visible count to the game clock, when I am required to show a visible count. If I start my count at 1:21, and the ball is still in the backcourt at 1:10, with no intervening stoppage, there definitely is a violation.
While I don't frequently do this, I will do this several times over a season to see if my count is accurate. Always a few times in preseason scrimmages.

If you're in a state where you are not supposed to use the shot clock for a ten second count (must show "visible" count), or in a state where there is no shot clock, just be sure you've "visibly" counted ten times before sounding a whistle at 1:10 (or whatever time). While a coach certainly can't argue about your timing accuracy, he could argue about the number of "visible" counts, "I only saw eight visible counts, so I didn't request a timeout". While I've never hear this argument in regard to a ten second rule (it's a weak argument), I have heard it in regard to a five second closely guarded rule. And in the twenty-first century, all coaches have videos of "visible" counts to back them up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 19, 2022 at 01:23pm.