View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 18, 2022, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Again he did not release the ball as if he was doing a shotgun formation. I do not know what they were thinking, I was not on the field in that game or ever work an NFL game. Just stating why this might have been called. Did you go back and see when the game was and see if this was ever discussed by the NFL. Because otherwise, you are not going to get an answer that you will be satisfied with.
Don't people discuss stuff like this all the time here?

The only documentation I have from my searching so far was that it was a Monday night game, as you can see via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOaW-CpzXzo , the link supplied by Farooq in the Refstripes discussion I linked tom and that it was on or before Sept. 29, 2020.

The more I look at it, the cleaner it looks. He didn't "release the ball as if he was doing a shotgun formation", that we can all see, because the ball got higher and grazed his crotch. But I've seen bad snaps that've done that, and nobody in those cases ever suggested it was anything other than a bad but legal snap. Whatever, the ball still gets released!

I coach snapping, and high snaps are a symptom of a late release. One common fix for that is to make the snapper's technique such that his elbow or forearm hits his leg as a stop. In this case the snapper was deliberately releasing late, because he didn't realize he was to snap the ball 5 yards instead of to someone whose hands were in his crotch. But that mental mistake resulted in something materially no different from bad technique that a beginner might use when snapping the ball a good distance.