View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 10:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I would say NCAA-Men's more restrictively defines what constitutes the shooting motion via the Case Book (A.R. 121). All the other codes basically consider the end the dribble (gathering) as the beginning of the shooting motion.
I am going to disagree a little bit. Nothing in the play suggests that the rule application is totally different in that A.R. I see a situation where it appears the player was not shooting and then was fouled, then decided to shoot. That is not so different than the NF position as I see it. Because the motion must be associated with the shot. If they did something else after being fouled, I think that is different no matter the code. Again the NCAA used to use a term, "Upward motion" but that was removed and was primarily used for a line of demarcation for block-charge plays. They got rid of that interpretation when there was too much judgment involved.

I do not see the rule being drastically different in its practice and say that because of the things the NF puts out there or even how the NCAA wants this to be called.

I see the very next play after your reference, this is stated.

Quote:
A.R. 122. A1 drives to the basket, picks up his dribble in his hand(s) and has begun an upward or downward (as in an attempted dunk) motion of his hand(s) when B1 fouls A1. Is the foul by B1 considered to be “in the act of shooting?”

RULING: The act of shooting starts when the player begins the motion that normally precedes the release of the ball on a try for goal. If the official believes that the player is attempting a try (as opposed to a pass/dribble) the upward/downward motion of the hand(s) while holding the ball is normally considered to be a motion that “normally precedes the release of the ball in a try for goal.” (Rules 5-1.10 and 4-8]
Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Mar 30, 2022 at 10:29am.