Thread: Flop
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 19, 2022, 10:42am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Saw this last night as I was observing my friends officiate a state semifinal game. May be the first time any of us saw a 100% contact-free "flop". Player drove down the lane toward a defensive player legally holding his spot. Driving player pulled up at the last split second to go vertical and shoot a soft jump shot. Absolutely no contact. Defensive player, anticipating the contact, leaned back and then feel backward on his butt. Good basket. No call.

The four of us discussed this play after the game. With our many combined years of playing basketball, watching basketball, and officiating basketball, we all agreed that none of us wanted to be the first official in Connecticut to make a "flop" call.

The L (I assume it was the L that was the primary for this play.) was correct in not accessing a TF for "faking being fouled". For our brothers and sisters who are not familiar with my position, reacting to possible conact is: 1) human nature and 2) not "faking being fouled". If one wants to see athletes who are adept at faking being fouled, watch soccer players, especially professional soccer players.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio