Thread: Flop
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 17, 2022, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

My simple but convoluted 3 cents on flopping:

I find the language faking being fouled awkward phrasing. So it leads me down a path many of you may see as splitting hairs.

A foul is contact the referee judges to meet the level of a foul. A player can't fake a judgement, they can fake contact. So players can't fake being fouled ever only fake being contacted. WIth that in mind IMO we should only be calling technicals for faking being fouled if and when they are faking contact that didn't actually occur.

NOW (before the pitch forks come out) . . .

They can also exaggerate or and overreact to contact. If we want to give a technical for that, for me I would have to have it raise to a theatrical level that was somehow leading to intentionally inciting the crowd or blatantly violating the spirit of the game. Someone choosing to fall over or toss their head back when I wouldn't have fallen over or tossed my head back or I don't think they should doesn't meet that bar for me.

If they want to engage in theatrics or controlled falls that's on them. If after they engage in the theatrics and the respond badly to not getting their desired called I have no problem with Ting up that bad behaviour or complaint.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!