Thread: Flop
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 12, 2022, 05:41pm
Administrator

1) Billy, I know that I have joked about Alternating Possession being and abomination upon the game but while I am not a fan of it something Alternation Possession it is something that I can live with for the time being.

2) The real abomination upon the game is the Restricted Arc, Secondary Defender, Lower Defensive Box, and the Defensive Three Seconds Violation, all of which discussions of another day.

3) My position on "flopping". I am sure that you can search this Forum as well as many of the Facebook basketball officiating groups for my position on "flopping". So lets start by looking at: https://forum.officiating.com/basket...o-contact.html and I bring everyone's attention to two of my comments:

Comment #10 on Page 1:

It is not a TF for "flopping", it is a TF for faking being fouled.

If B1 has a LGP against A1 and while in his/her LGP A1, makes contact with any part of B1's body that tells us that A1 encroached B1's Cylinder of Verticality meaning that if a Foul is to be charged it should be charged to A1.

We have all seen videos and have officiated games where B1 has a LGP against A1 and A1 breaches B1's Cylinder of Verticality. The contact looks minimal and yet B1 falls backwards even falling to the Floor sometimes. Many people describe B1 as "flopping". Who knows for sure if B1 over acted from A1's contact? Whether or not B1 is guilty or not of overacting he/she cannot be charged with any type of Foul (Personal or Technical) because B1 was in a LGP when A1 breached B1's Cylinder of Verticality.

When it comes to faking being fouled. I officiated H.S. soccer for 14 years. Basketball players are not the actors that soccer players are.

I officiated basketball for 46 years and have watched Mark, Jr. officiate basketball for another 5 years and I cannot remember ever seeing a basketball player fake being fouled.

Comment #18 on Page 2:

1) Has B1 Obtained (NFHS and NCAA Women's)/Established (NCAA Men's and FIBA) LGP? If YES, go to (2) and if NO, go to (4).

2) Was the contact between A1 and B1 within B1's Cylinder of Verticality? If yes, to (3).

3) PF by A1 against B1.

4) PF by B1 against A1.

It does not get any easier than that.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Dec 12, 2023 at 07:27pm. Reason: Changed the word "breached" to the word "encroached".