View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2022, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Game Film Access

Does anyone's state/chapter/association have a good system for "automatic access" or communal access to game film?

For NCAA, Synergy was amazing. As long as the staff had uploaded the film in a timely fashion, you had access to your game within a day. The other nice thing about Synergy was that you had access to all the games, at every level, for every school. However, I understand that the NCAA has many more resources than the NFHS or our local high schools.

Most high schools here use HUDL. Getting access to the film often times will involve reaching out to the AD or coach (if you can find their info) and then going through the ringer of the technologically challenged issues or otherwise string of email questions before finally getting the link...
"I don't know how to share it"
"I don't think I can share it"
"We don't use HUDL"
"Why do you want our game film?" (my favorite)
"I'll send it to you when the season ends"
*Once I had a coach snail mail me DVD of his game, and then after a few days, ask for it back, as it was their only copy* LOL

Our Officials' rep does have a HUDL account and the ability to see all the games, if the school uses it...but is unable to share (to my knowledge).

Ideally, I want a system that functions in one or two ways:

1. Within a day or two, every crew is "automatically" emailed the HUDL link to their game film. After that, what you choose to do with your film is up to you. If you are reviewing the film to improve, great. If not, then that's on you. But at least it is being distributed and available. And maybe then, we can get into the discussion of reviewing with evaluation for accountability purposes...but that's a discussion for another thread entirely.

2. A Synergy or HUDL based pool of game film for the area or entire district. All games, from all schools are uploaded and available to this location and accessible to either anyone with an account (controlled) OR an administrator who can delegate access specifically and as needed.

My understanding is that the schools would need to get on board with this and for basketball they aren't for some reason. Our football officials in the area have a system, but it's been a while since I've discussed it. And for either of those systems to work, all schools would need to get on board. It's a shame that you can only get film from certain schools and not others, when everyone films their games some way or another...it's 2022!

I'm looking for suggestions or input or stories from everyone. I'd like to know how other areas handle game film regarding the above topics.

Thanks is advance.

Last edited by tnolan; Wed Mar 02, 2022 at 12:09pm.