View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 01, 2022, 10:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If you are getting something wrong, then someone should speak up quickly and concisely.
Agree 100%. Everybody appreciates good partners.

Decades ago I spotted my first-time partner (top-notch, late-round-tournament-level official) kicking an out of bounds call on his line on a ball that came from my primary. I was 100% certain. No whistle from me, I simply put up my stop-sign hand, took several quick steps toward him for a tête-à-tête, and quietly said, "Did you get a good look at that?". He replied, "Yes", and I immediately backed off with no further comment. I have absolutely no problem with that part, maybe he did get a much better look than me. But at halftime he told me to never "question" any of "his" out of bounds calls ever again (in direct conflict to the accepted procedure (asking for help or offering help) that we're supposed use to handle such situations in our local area) in a tone that sent chills down my spine. Keep in mind that I didn't come running in with whistle blasting, pointing, and over-turning his call, like Mighty Mouse saving the day. Worked with him several times after that. Never offered him help again, even if he needed it. Forty-plus years, dozens (that's conservative) of times I offered help to partners, only partner to have ever said anything even close to that to me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 01, 2022 at 01:10pm.