View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2022, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'm going by FlasherZ's situation. He should have at some point brought it up to the on-court crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is a great take-away. More table officials should have the courage to share information with floor officials.
We're digressing from the original point of the post, but I'd like to address this.

Yes, I could have stopped the inbounds to have an official come over to notify him. However, the official scorer was correct, the two officials were opposite side (nowhere near the table), we had a student volunteer scoreboard operator without a lot of expertise, and coaches are told to know their situation and not rely upon the scoreboard for anything but time and the score (especially in junior high games). So among all the other things going on, it didn't rank in priority to call over the officials to note that we corrected the team fouls on the scoreboard.

It's a junior high school game with 2-man court crew, student timer, and unpaid father as a scorekeeper. I have the courage to share information with the floor officials, because I believe what crosscountry wrote, above, but there are many times I've gotten the holier-than-thou attitude from game officials. At halftime of one game this year, "DON'T SWITCH THE ARROW UNTIL I'VE TOLD YOU TO!!!" was literally yelled at me after I noted that I had already switched it (and we keep the backup arrow on the scoreboard as well, which isn't subject to switching at halftime).

In fact, many of those officials don't even know that I have done my share of officiating games. The ones that do, know that they have a third man sitting at the table to help them out and we get along really well. Others feel like they have to "own the show". Those that consider the table crew partners are good officials... there are too many that do not consider them partners.

Last edited by FlasherZ; Tue Feb 22, 2022 at 09:09pm.