View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 20, 2022, 10:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Core Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... because confusion over whether the player is charged with a T for a pre-game dunk is not all that uncommon. There’s also often confusion over whether or not it’s indirect to the HC.
Confusion due to the failure of the NFHS to explain sufficiently? Disagree. The officials just kicked the rule.

10-5-1-I Bench Technical: The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, must not: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball. Penalty: The foul is charged to the offender and also charged indirectly to the head coach.

4.8.2 SITUATION: (b) a Team A member dunks during the pregame warm-ups. RULING: In (b), the foul counts toward disqualification and it counts as one of the seven team fouls to reach the bonus. In (b), a technical foul is also charged indirectly to Team A’s head coach resulting in the loss of coaching-box privileges. (10-3-3)

6.4.1 SITUATION A: Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for A1’s technical foul.

10.5.1 SITUATION E: Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks. RULING: A1 and A2 are both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box, the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the coaching box for the entire game. (10-4-1i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This would probably be a good question to send to Indianapolis ... You’d get the core question answered, and perhaps inspire a helpful case play or interp along the way.
Core question here is, once the error (mistake) is made, can the error (mistake) be corrected?

Should
it be corrected?

It's definitely not a correctable error, and probably not a bookkeeping error. So what is it? That might be worth an annual interpretation, or a caseplay.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 20, 2022 at 02:13pm.