View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 17, 2022, 02:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unsporting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... Players constantly pushing the limits, coaches ranting and raving, and fans just being ignorant with their statements and being right on top of you ...
Regarding unsporting behavior.

For most part, the subvarsity coaches that I've been dealing with for the past two COVID seasons seem to really appreciate officials for being there (as opposed to being inactive due to COVID).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Twenty percent of our 270 local members were inactive due to COVID this season ... my local board had to politely refuse to assign middle school officials in two major city school systems due to our lack of available afternoon officials ...
Also, despite the fact that I'm hobbled due to arthritis, these subvarsity coaches, especially the middle school coaches, seem to appreciate having an experienced veteran official work their games rather than an inexperienced youthful "gazelle" who doesn't know if the basketball is stuffed or inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The extra games and lack of rest this season have aggravated the severe arthritis in my right foot, making my officiating both physically and mentally challenging ...
This season, only one minor problem with a coach for whom I paused the game and I asked to, "Tone it down a little", didn't even warrant a written warning from me.

Two players (middle school girl, freshman boy), in two different games, with two different partners, orally criticized the partners and in doing so included the word "f**k", and were charged with non-flagrant technical fouls by my partners. I heard neither, but if it had been spoken to me, depending on the tone and volume, I might have considered flagrant technical fouls.

Otherwise, a very quiet season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 17, 2022 at 05:34pm.