View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

JRutledge

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Mick,

I was really not talking about the difficulty, but the wear and tear on someone's body to do both. Football really is not that easy. The game is a lot harder on your mind. Many more rules to understand and to think about. And being a white hat, my job is not the hardest on the field. I just report fouls most of the time, I do not always have something myself. But I would think guys would not want to run around on a football field and do the same on a basketball court a day or hours later on a regular basis.

Actually sometimes dealing with coaches can be much harder in football than it ever is in basketball. There are times in a football game you cannot get away from them. So in order to cope and not have hankys flying all over the place, you have to develop your communication skills and your people skills. You can take a lot of heat as a wing for things you do not understand or you did not see. It is not a cake walk by any means.

Peace
I agree with you. I had a football rec league game yesterday and was on the winning team's sideline and STILL caught hell all game long. That team was winning 46-0.

The Coaches are right there and you can't get away. Lots of rules and lots of things happening. The Coaches think they have an advantage because they know the key parts (i.e. blocks, movements etc. ) of their plays, so they concentrate on that, while we look at everything. When that key aspect doesn't happen as plan "Hey Ref he's holding, clipping, blocking in the back on and on and on".

Side Note: I had to work a flag game (6-8 yr olds) ALONE for the first half. (First time, so A Fish out of Water) I act like I knew what I was doing and it worked. No penalties the first half, lets get this over.