View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When The Ball Is Dead, We Must Be Alive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Held ball under H's basket. Arrow points other way. V-Coach calls full timeout. I thought to myself at the time ... "They are going to forget to switch the arrow."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
If I have a table that appears to be on the ball, I'll give a reminder held ball signal before pointing in the direction of the throw-in coming out of the time out. If it's a table that's more inexperienced - especially at a lower level game (namely subvarsity, middle school, or CYO) - I've been known to remind them that the throw in following the time out is for a held ball and we need to switch the arrow as appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I reminder the table that we still have the arrow on such situations regardless of the experience of the table. I may phrase it differently, but I always do it. We're in a timeout and it easy to do to prevent any issue so why not do it?
Thanks to Stat-Man and Camron Rust for getting us back to one of the important points of the original post, the possibility of something distracting the officials and/or the table over thirty or sixty seconds that the call was a held ball, the need to "officially" change the table arrow after the throwin after the timeout, and something to be on the alert for.

Had an article published a few years ago, When The Ball Is Dead, We Must Be Alive. Unfortunately, I failed to cover this held ball/timeout situation.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1025072
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 29, 2022 at 01:14pm.