View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 20, 2022, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Three wrongs don't make a right

High school quarterfinal game is utilizing 3-umpire system. I am on the plate.

With no outs, R1 on first, U1 is on the line and U3 is in rotated position behind 2B.

B2 (a RH batter) hits a ground ball that I see pass over the orange portion of the double base. Before I can call “foul ball”, U1 is giving an animated fair ball signal. I did not make a call after seeing that.

The ball is now between the RF foul line and a chain link fence with F9 chasing it down.

R1 has intentions of going to 3B and as she passes 2B I call out that I have third base. As I look back to see if U1 is covering home, I see that he has come inside the diamond but he’s started to take B2 rounding first base to second base. U3 may have alerted him that she was already at second base, and U1 aborted his plan of taking B2 to 2B. However, he is just aimlessly in the infield.

The defense has retrieved the ball and F4 now has possession of it in the shallow outfield. There are no bobbles or drops and F4 runs the ball into the infield. B2 made it to 2B without a throw. I am about 15’ from 3B in fair territory and thankful that R1 didn’t try going home. U1 never got there and I would be in a bad position to make a call at home plate.

Once action ceased, I called time to allow all umpires to re-set to their new positions.

On this field, the home coach leans against the backstop pole that is right in line with 1B foul line extended.

As I’m coming back to the plate area, he approached me and said: “Blue, that was a foul ball.”

What do you do?